School Travel Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions


For full details about our travel insurance policies and Coronavirus/Covid19 please see our dedicated page:

Information about Coronavirus/Covid19 >>

Getting a Quote/Purchasing School Travel Insurance

  • When getting a quote, you ask for the number of individuals in an age range, is that the age at the time of purchase or the time of travel?
  • We need the children’s and adults’ ages at the time of purchasing the school travel insurance.

  • Can you provide travel insurance cover for pupils or teachers with medical conditions?
  • Yes, we can cover a number of medical conditions as standard on our school travel insurance.

    For more complex medical conditions we can refer you to our sister company, who can provide an individual or small group travel insurance policy which can cover all types of medical conditions.

    Visit our Medical Condition page for more information.

  • Is there an upper or lower age limit?
  • We can cover children aged 0-18 and teachers/carers up to age 75.

  • What is the maximum trip duration?
  • We can cover school trips of up to 22 days.

  • How far in advance can I buy school travel insurance?
  • We enable you to get a quote and purchase school travel insurance cover up to 365 days before the start of the trip.

  • What countries can you cover?
  • We can cover any country in the world, so long as the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) does not advise against all travel or all but essential travel to that destination.

    We recommend that you check the latest advice for the country you are visiting before you travel.

    Travel advice from the FCDO

  • How can I pay for my school travel insurance?
  • There are two ways to pay for your school travel insurance. 

    We can accept a credit card payment online; if you choose this method your travel insurance will be in place immediately.

    Alternatively you can select to pay by invoice and bacs payment; if you choose this method your travel insurance cover will be in place once we have received payment.  Simply complete your quotation, proceed to the payment page and download an invoice to pass on to your accounts team.

Questions about cover

  • What cover is available under my policy in relation to Coronavirus or FCDO change in advice?
  • From 16th March 2020, there is no cover under this policy for:

    - Cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises you not to travel, for example where the FCO advise against all but essential travel to an area affected by Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2) or any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2. 

    - Any claims as a result of Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. 

    Except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section. 
    We will still provide cover for emergency medical expenses and repatriation if you need emergency medical treatment whilst away.

    This will only apply if you did not travel against the published advice of the FCDO, any local government, local authority or WHO.

  • What sports and activities can be covered?
  • School Trip Cover can cover over 90 sports and activities as standard, including; football, swimming, orienteering, trekking up to 2000 metres, pony trekking, sailing and rowing.  More hazardous sports and activities such as kayaking, white water rafting and abseiling can also be covered on payment of an additional premium.

    See our Sports and Activities page for more information.

  • Can you cover sports competitions and tournaments?
  • Yes. Our school travel insurance cover includes participation in amateur tournaments, so long as the appropriate premium has been paid for the sport or activity you are taking part in.

    See our Sports and Activities page for more information.

  • Do you cover winter sports?
  • Yes, we can cover on-piste skiing and snowboarding.

    See our Winter Sports page for more information.

  • Do you cover teacher liability?
  • Yes.  We cover teacher liability up to £5 million per teacher. Please note there is an excess of £50 per person in the event of a claim.

  • Can I talk to someone about my requirements?
  • Yes.  Our UK based team are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.   Call us on 0330 094 5789

  • What is covered in the event of a terrorist attack?
  • In the event of a terrorist attack you are covered under the Emergency Medical Expenses section of the policy.

    In addition to this, you can choose to add our Terrorism (Cancellation) Cover extension. This provides additional insurance to enable you to cancel or cut short your school trip if a terrorist act occurs within a 40 mile radius of your pre-booked accommodation.

    See our Terrorism Cover page for more information.

Administration/making changes to your school travel insurance

  • Do I need to tell you all of the children’s full names and dates of birth?
  • No, we don’t need to know the children’s names or dates of birth.  We simply need to know the total number of people in each age range who will be going on the trip.

    The age ranges for children are: 0-11, 12-18

    The age ranges for adults/teachers are: 19-55, 56-64, 65-75

  • What do I do if the children on the trip change?
  • Because we don’t need the names and dates of birth of individual travellers, you only need to tell us if the total number of individuals in each age range changes.

    You can do this by calling us on 0330 094 5789, we are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

  • How can I make a change to the policy?
  • If you need to make a change to the policy, for example to the lead traveller, the start or return date or add some optional cover, please call us on 0330 094 5789, we are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

  • Can I get a refund if I have to cancel the policy?
  • We offer a 14 day money back guarantee which means that provided you haven’t travelled or made a claim you are entitled to a full refund within 14 days on purchasing the cover.

    Should you wish to cancel the policy after this date you will be entitled to a pro rata refund and may be subject to an administration charge.

Making a claim

  • How do I make a claim?
  • If you require medical help whilst abroad, please see the details below.

    To make a claim once you return home please download and complete a claims form.

    For full information visit our Claims Information page.

    Full details can also be found in your policy wording.

  • What do I do if someone requires medical treatment whilst on the trip?
  • If a pupil or teacher/carer requires emergency medical treatment whilst you are away you should follow this procedure:

    1. Seek medical help. Call an ambulance using the local equivalent of a 999 number, or alternatively dialling 112 in the EU or 911 in the USA and Canada.
    2. Contact the Emergency Assistance Company for advice and give them details of the hospital you have been taken to.
    3. Tell them that you are insured by School Trip Cover and give them your policy number.